Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

Ringing in the New Year With a Few Challenges


**Full Disclosure: I wrote this yesterday (ok, it's 12:30 a.m. now, so I should say on 1/1, then had technical difficulties posting it. A challenge I did not sign up for this month : )





Dear 2013,

We’re done. Finished. Kaput. And I’m not sorry.

As they say, when the bad times outweigh the good, it’s time to move on. We have no choice, really.

I know you’ll beg and plead, reminding me of the good times while calling me baby.

Yeah, there were good times, like the trip to the Oregon coast, that rather well known writer who trusted me to proofread her new novel, a successful conclusion to a business project I’d worked on nearly all damned year, clients who called just to say they appreciate what I do for them…

But we really shared some shitty stuff too.

Business could have been better, people I love died, others are suffering, and that reminds me that I also blame you for the failure of the healthcare.gov website; If I could get paid for every hour I’ve spent trying to get signed up for insurance, then waiting for live chat help, then waiting for phone help when the live chat non-help said they couldn’t help me, I’d be freaking rich. I still don’t have insurance, but I’m sure 2014 will care more than you did. 

And don’t even get me started on the dentist from Hell that tried to ruin my life and charge me for it. Long after replacing him with a professional, I still get emails inviting me to pancake breakfasts and ice cream socials…I’m going to send him an invite to small claims court.

It’s all good though, like a high school love. Eventually we forget how stupid it was and just have fond memories.

I’m over you 2013. My new year promises so much more than you ever had for me.

January is gonna kick my ass. Besides the usual work for right-way money, today starts another round of Christina Katz’s 21 Moments Writing Challenge, Jeff Goins’ 500 Words challenge, and a new round of the Ultimate Blog Challenge. Not as overwhelming as it appears, since writing 500 words per day will take care of all three challenges.

Tomorrow I’ll join happysexylife.com for “Embody Your Pricing Genius.” I need this.

Then there’s Coach Jennie’s Astonish Yourself 2014: Six week’s of coaching to craft a plan for a “legendary year of making shit happen.” I love Jennie, although I’m kind of afraid of her. She will take no excuses.

I met Jennie while participating in Dana Sitar’s ManiWriMo in November. Speaking of Dana, I’m also signed up for her E-Pub Boot Camp and I'm super excited. I’ve adored Dana since reading her Writer’s Bucket List (get a free copy here) and love that she doesn’t preach rules for writers, but suggests that wherever you are and however you do things is okay. I’m well into the writing of the ebook and have another in mind, once I learn…a lot.

I’m also in the midst of setting up two new websites, one for writing/proofreading, and the other for general VA services. I know nothing about website design and should have just hired someone a long time ago to do it for me. But no, I’m stubborn and thought that if I could figure this out, it would be another service that I could offer to clients…I’m pretty sure that nobody is going to pay me to set up a website based on the looks of my own, and if I really wanted to spend my days doing things that suck I'd just go back to working for criminal attorneys. Wait, the attorneys weren't criminals...you know what I mean.

And HEY LOOK! I’m way over 500 words for the first three challenges of 2014. 

Are you challenging yourself for the new year? Leave a comment and tell me all about it!



No comments:

Post a Comment